A New Haven resident broke into a University-owned, off-campus apartment on Edgewood Avenue near Park Street and assaulted one of its occupants late Friday afternoon, according to a New Haven Police Department press statement.

The man, Kenneth Jackson, 52, whose address is listed as a homeless shelter on Grand Avenue, knocked on the victim’s door and asked her whether she might help him clean up some trash, according to the police statement. She declined his offer, and an hour later he returned, forced his way inside and began to assault her.

The victim’s roommates heard the commotion and called Yale Police around 6:15 p.m., according to the statement. The attack had escalated to a sexual assault by the time officers arrived, forcing their way into the apartment and pulling the attacker from his victim.

The victim’s name will not be released to protect her privacy, according to the statement.

Clarification: Aug. 10 

A previous version of this article stated that Yale Police Chief Ronnell Higgins had not notified the Yale community of the incident via e-mail over 12 hours after the fact. Messages are sent only when there is an ongoing threat to the Yale community. In this case, the police determined there was no ongoing threat because the crime was halted and the perpetrator arrested.

MICHELLE HACKMAN