After nearly eight months of waiting, Peter Salovey finally entered the doors of Woodbridge Hall as Yale’s 23rd president today.

Salovey has served as president-elect since November when the Yale Corporation announced he would succeed University President Richard Levin following a nearly three-month long search. The former provost dropped the “elect” from his title last night when Levin’s 20-year tenure came to a close.

The new leader made his transition into the presidency official with a Monday morning email to the Yale Community, in which he said he plans to draw from his past experiences at the University to inform his future decisions as president. He also announced a new University presidential website that he will use to post information about his activity and to communicate with students, faculty and staff.

“I look forward to years of listening to you, being inspired by you, serving you, and collaborating with you to continue to ensure that Yale is a model of higher learning and scholarship, a source of leadership in every sector of society, and an inspiration to the world,” Salovey said in his message.

Salovey told the News he would kick off his presidency Monday morning with a reception for the Woodbridge Hall staff who made the presidential transition possible.

JULIA ZORTHIAN