While some students may have wanted more transparency in Yale’s presidential search process, the debate in New Haven did not have reason to escalate to court. But at the public institution Louisiana State University, similar complaints are backed by Louisiana Law, and the editor in chief of the school newspaper is suing her school for not revealing the position’s candidates during the LSU search.

The Daily Reveille Editor in Chief Andrea Gallo appeared before a court this morning with a suit charging that the public institution should have announced the applicants for the presidency before appointing California State University Long Beach President F. King Alexander to the position late last month.

“I’m excited to go to court today and stand up for transparency and the public’s right to know information about their elected officials,” Gallo told the Daily Reveille. “We look forward to the outcome.”

Gallo’s claims are based on a Louisiana law that states candidates for public positions must be made public, and since LSU is a state University, this law covers the presidential search. Earlier this month, the University denied Gallo’s requests for the public records of the candidates, and the editor filed the suit in response.

Gallo’s claims are not the first of their kind — on Thursday, two other Louisiana news sources, NOLA.com / The Times-Picayune and The Advocate, appeared in court with joint lawsuits over a lack of transparency in LSU’s search process. Judge Janice Clark concluded the hearing by ordering the LSU Board of Supervisors reveal the candidates’ identities, a decision the University plans to appeal.

JULIA ZORTHIAN