Top scientist. Sterling Professor of molecular biophysics and biochemistry Thomas Steitz has been awarded the 2013 Connecticut Medal of Science, the state’s top prize for technological achievement related to economic development. Steitz won a Nobel Prize for chemistry in 2009 and is best known for his research on ribosomal proteins.

Another provost to president. Princeton University announced that its provost, Christopher Eisgruber, will assume leadership of the school in the fall. The choice marks the end of the third Ivy League presidential search this year — as well as the third selection of a provost — following November appointments of Provost Peter Salovey and University of Michigan Provost Philip Hanlon to the presidencies of Yale and Dartmouth College, respectively.

Boola boola! The Yale women’s water polo team won the North Atlantic Division water polo championship on Sunday, beating out Boston University 11–8. Looks like Bulldogs are better swimmers than terriers.

Questionable. A five-year study performed on premature babies has been deemed unethical by the Public Citizen Health Research Group. The study, funded by the National Institutes of Health, was led by researchers at the University of Alabama at Birmingham along with 22 other medical centers across the nation, including the Yale School of Medicine. In the study, 1,300 premature babies enrolled as subjects were randomly divided into two groups: The first received high levels of oxygen exposure, while the second received low levels of oxygen exposure.

Improvising. After Harvard canceled its admissions weekend “Visitas” as law enforcement officers hunted for the Boston Marathon bombing suspects, the university decided to improvise instead. Over the weekend, Harvard used the Twitter hashtag #virtualvisitas to reach out to prospective students, and administrators are considering extending the date for accepted students to reply to their offers of admission.

Remembering the past. Architect Maya Lin ’81 ARC ’86, who designed the Women’s Table in front of Sterling Memorial Library, appeared on “60 Minutes” over the weekend to discuss historical memory. Lin serves as a jurist for the World Trade Center Site Memorial Competition as the country decides how to memorialize those killed on 9/11.

THIS DAY IN YALE HISTORY 1963 Funeral services for University President A. Whitney Griswold are held in Battell Chapel this afternoon.

YALE DAILY NEWS