Saving lives. A total of 847 people registered at the fifth annual Mandi Schwartz Marrow Donor Registration Drive, which was held yesterday afternoon outside Commons. Named after Yale women’s ice hockey player Mandi Schwartz ’11 — who passed away after a two-year battle with cancer — the drive added about 300 more potential donors than last year’s drive, and the effort has included more than 3,000 people to the “Be the Match” registry in total.

Hath he returned? James Franco, formerly GRD ’16, was spotted outside LC yesterday. No word yet on whether Yale’s most famous almost-alum will return to study beneath these Ivy-covered walls.

Just do it. A Yale College Council report released Thursday evaluated and offered five recommendations to improve the University’s alcohol culture. In addition to proposing a dry, large-scale events for students to socialize without alcohol, YCC representatives also called on University President Richard Levin to make a “public statement advocating for a reconsideration of the U.S. legal drinking age.” Maybe Levin should run for Congress after his tenure at Yale ends.

O say can you see? Every other year, Yalies migrate to Boston for The Game against our northern, Crimson-colored rival. But this Saturday, the Yale Precision Marching Band will visit Boston for a very different reason: The group has accepted an invitation to perform the National Anthem at the Red Sox game in Fenway Park. Yalies are patriotic, y’all.

Awarding teaching. The Yale College Dean’s Office announced the 2013 winners of the six annual teaching prizes, awarded by the Committee on Teaching, Learning & Advising, yesterday.

A group of 37 women at Occidental College filed a Title IX complaint with the Department of Education on Thursday alleging that the school has fostered a hostile work environment by not offering effective prevention and response programs for incidents of sexual misconduct. According to the complainants, the college did not teach consent, discouraged victims from reporting assault and did not remove perpetrators from campus.

THIS DAY IN YALE HISTORY 1906 Secretary of War William Taft ’78, called “Yale’s most prominent graduate,” announces that he will deliver a speech at the University on “The Responsibilities of Citizenship.” Taft’s talk will kick-off the four-part “Dodge Lectureship Series,” which was founded six years prior after a generous  $30,000 gift from William E. Dodge.

Submit tips to Cross Campus crosscampus@yaledailynews.com

YALE DAILY NEWS