THE NEWS

• On the afternoon of Nov. 8, 2012, faculty and administrators who crowded in the McDougal Center for a special announcement had a hunch that they were about to meet Yale’s next president. So when Provost Peter Salovey appeared with University President Richard Levin and Yale Corporation Senior Fellow Edward Bass ’67 ARC ’72 at the side door, Salovey had to walk through a standing ovation and chorus of cheers in order to reach the podium in the front. No one looked surprised.  The similarities between Levin and Salovey are numerous, but the trajectories of their presidencies could not look more different. Levin is leaving his successor with a Yale unlike the campus he took charge of, which was ringing with calls for a better future. Julia Zorthian takes a close look in tomorrow’s News.
  • Faculty members will participate in a new round of workshops designed to discuss the teaching of undergraduate humanities courses this May as part of a broader focus on a humanities-based education in Yale College. In July, the University received a $1.95 million grant from the Andrew W. Mellon foundation put toward enriching its humanities teaching. Though the grant — which funds an interdisciplinary concentration in the graduate school, a program for post-doctoral students and the faculty workshops — does not directly fund undergraduate coursework, the first set of workshops held last June and August generated course proposals and recommendations for interdisciplinary teaching in the humanities that faculty and administrators hope to implement across Yale College, according to Pamela Schirmeister, associate dean for Yale College and the Graduate School of Arts and Sciences. Schirmesiter said she hopes that conversation and collaboration will continue in May’s workshops, which will focus on utilizing Yale’s art and library collections in the classroom.
  • In a brief unanimous vote Monday night, the Board of Aldermen redrew the borders of two New Haven wards, bucking the legal recommendation of the city’s top lawyer in the process. The redistricting came well after the city concluded the once-per-decade process of redrawing ward boundaries last year. Nevertheless, and despite the advice of the city’s Corporation Counsel Victor Bolden, the Board of Aldermen voted to move Jocelyn Square, a small neighborhood and a park, to Ward 8, as well as a block near Hillhouse High School to Ward 21. The Board justified the changes by citing an oversight in last year’s redistricting process, and cited the opinion of New Haven attorney Martyn Philpot in defending the legality of the move.

THE WEATHER

High of 64 degrees, low of 52 degrees, drizzle with thunderstorms at night.

THE FOOD

In the colleges

Breakfast: Steelcut Oats, Waffle Bar, Orange Fiesta Muffin

Lunch: New England Clam Chowder, Enchiladas Verdes, Argentinian Sierra Beef Sandwich, Quinoa Black Bean & Corn Pilaf, Tex-Mex Chicken Breast, All-Natural Grilled Chicken Breast, Grilled Garden Burger, All-Natural Grilled Cheeseburger, All-Natural Grilled Burger, BLAT Sandwich, Fresh Market Vegetable, Peruvian Corn Salad, Mexican Tabbouleh Salad, Orange Cranberry White Choc Chip Bar, Toffee Coffee Cookie

Dinner: New England Clam Chowder, Roasted Pepper Enchilada, Red Snapper Veracruz, Nachos Express Bar – Ground Turkey, All-Natural Grilled Chicken Breast, Grilled Garden Burger, All-Natural Grilled Cheeseburger, All-Natural Grilled Burger, Chipotle Tomato Salsa, Portabella Fajita, Mexican Rice, Fresh Market Vegetable, Peruvian Corn Salad, Mexican Tabbouleh Salad, Mexican Hot Chocolate Sheet Cake

In Commons

Breakfast: Chocolate Chip Pancakes, Maple Flavored Organic Oatmeal, Waffle Bar, Omelets To-Order, Cage-Free Scrambled Egg Whites, Cage-Free Scrambled Eggs, Sweet Potato Home Fries, Orange Fiesta Muffin

Lunch: Manhattan Clam Chowder, Chilaquiles Verdes with Tofu, Batter Fried Cod, Linguine, Shrimp Quesadilla, Pepperoni Pizza, Cheese Pizza, Broccoli Bianca Pizza, Yu Choy Stir Fry, Shrimp Fried Rice, Jasmine Rice, Spring Roll, Tofu Lo Mein, Fresh Market Vegetable, Cucumber & Tomato Salad, Snap Peas, Corn & Pimento Salad, Orange Cranberry White Choc Chip Bar, Toffee Coffee Cookie

YALE DAILY NEWS