Sandals out. That dreary New England winter weather may finally be over. Fingers crossed, but it’s supposed to be in the 60s and 70s all week. Take out those sunglasses!

Mayoral update. Sundiata Keitazulu, a plumber from Newhallville who announced his candidacy for mayor last November, has become the third New Haven mayoral candidate to sign on for public funding from the city’s Democracy Fund. The fund provides finances for candidates and requires that they abide by strict campaign rules. Candidates Ward 10 Alderman Justin Elicker FES ’10 SOM ’10 and state Rep. Gary Holder-Winfield have already decided to participate in the fund, but candidate Henry Fernandez has said that he will not.

Slamming it down. Over the weekend, Yale’s national-ranked slam poetry team competed in the national championship tournament for the first time in the group’s history, placing in the top 20 among college teams across the country. The five-member team performed in front of over 700 people at Barnard College in New York.

Lawsuits on lawsuits. The Elm City and Tweed New Haven Regional Airport may join existing litigation against the Federal Aviation Administration to prevent the closure of Tweed’s control tower on June 15, according to The New Haven Register. Tweed is one of six airports in the state that could see its tower closed due to sequestration-related cuts. According to an attorney for Tweed, the airport will first file a complaint with the FAA alleging that the FAA failed to go through due process procedures, such as holding a public hearing, before deciding to take action.

Rest in peace. Yale alum and prolific publisher Peter Workman ’60 died from cancer on Sunday at the age of 74. Workman was the founder of Workman Publishing, one of the few remaining independent publishing companies in the country, and helped land best-selling trade books such as “What to Expect When You’re Expecting” and “The Silver Palate Cookbook.” But Workman’s successes extend beyond books: He is perhaps most well-known for inventing the card game “Brain Quest” for children and the “Page-a-Day” calendars.

THIS DAY IN YALE HISTORY 1970 The Yale faculty of arts and sciences meet this afternoon to vote on a proposed change to the University’s grading policies, in which courses that students fail would not appear on their permanent transcripts.  After 45 minutes of deliberation with no clear consensus, faculty members decide to postpone the debate.

Submit tips to Cross Campus crosscampus@yaledailynews.com

YALE DAILY NEWS