The life of a genius. Chess Grandmaster Robert Hess ’15 will travel to St. Louis, Mo. on May 3 to compete in the U.S. Chess Championships. The chess whizz will spend 10 days facing off against the greatest chess players in the country in a battle for monetary prizes totaling $180,000. Hess previously competed at the U.S. Championships in 2009, where he placed second.

Apple picking 2.0. In a Sunday email sent to the Yale community, Yale Police Chief Ronnell Higgins reminded students to keep their laptops closely guarded at all times, warning Yalies of a 20-something-year-old man recently arrested for his connection to two laptop thefts at Blue State Coffee. Higgins’ email followed a similar warning last fall, when the police chief alerted students of an increase in iPhone thefts, a phenomenon dubbed “apple picking.”

Writer turned speaker. Pulitzer Prize-winning author and editor in chief of The New Yorker David Remnick will give Princeton’s Class Day address on June 3, the school announced last Thursday. Remnick, who graduated from Princeton in 1981, will succeed comedian Steve Carell as the school’s Class Day speaker.

Keeping secrets. In a Sunday email to the Yale community, Dean of Student Affairs Marichal Gentry reminded students about the University’s hazing regulations and laws in anticipation of this Thursday’s senior society “Tap Night.” According to Gentry, hazing laws prohibit a number of activities, including indecent exposure, mental stress, blindfolding, confinement, assault, ingestion of substances or “physical activity that could endangerer the health or safety of the individual.”

A technology boost. Tired of having to forfeit intramural games when not enough players show up? Ben Sherman ’13 has the answer: The tech-savvy senior created a new IMs website that hopes to make it easier for college captains to keep track of how many participants have signed up for upcoming games. Sherman said in a Saturday email to IM captains that he hopes the new website will replace the existing one next semester.

THIS DAY IN YALE HISTORY 1968 The activist group “Black Women of New Haven” announces plans to boycott all white establishments in the Elm City as part of an effort to honor the mission of the late Rev. Martin Luther King, Jr., who passed away four days earlier. Though the Black Students Alliance and Dwight Hall Committee at Yale both endorse the boycott, three residential college dining halls are unable to open after several employees participating in the boycott fail to report for work.

Submit tips to Cross Campus crosscampus@yaledailynews.com

Correction: 4.9.13

An earlier version of this article mistakenly said Hess placed second at the World Team Chess Tournament in 2009; in fact, he placed second at the U.S. Championships in 2009.

YALE DAILY NEWS