Roughly 48 hours after the city saw its fourth homicide of the year, another murder hit the streets of New Haven Friday evening.

Around 7:06 p.m., the New Haven Police Department responded to reports of a shooting in the area around the Super Deli #7, a convenience store located at 1613 Chapel Street, said department spokesman David Hartman.

When the officers arrived on the crime scene, they learned that the victim, Richard Eichler, 26, had been transported by private care to the St. Raphael campus of Yale-New Haven Hospital, where he was pronounced dead shortly afterward.

Detectives from the department’s Major Crimes Division and Bureau of Investigation have started their investigations and are currently in the process of interviewing witnesses and collecting evidence, Hartman said. He added that according to the account of several witnesses, the suspect is an African-American man of short stature, wearing dark purple pants and a blue sweater.

Today’s homicide is the third to hit the Elm City in the past six days, after a nearly record-breaking 65-day homicide-free streak.

On Saturday, Mar. 30, a shooting in Newhallville ended with the death of Eric Forbes, 33. Just a few minutes before being shot, Forbes had left the Taurus Café, a nightclub at 520 Winchester Ave., where he was seen having an altercation with two unknown men. Four days later, on Wednesday, Apr. 3, Asdrubal Bernier, 32, was fatally shot in front of 145 Wolcott, in the heart of the Fair Haven neighborhood of the city.

Investigations into both murders are still ongoing.