More than 15 percent of Princeton’s female undergraduates reported being victims of nonconsensual vaginal penetration, according to results from an unpublished 2008 survey described in a Monday article from The Daily Princetonian.

The survey — which was based on data provided by 1,595 Princeton graduate and undergraduate students from the classes of 2008 to 2011 — measured the frequency respondents said they faced various sex-related scenarios.

According to The Princetonian, 70 percent of respondents were female. More than 28 percent of respondents reported being touched in a sexual manner or having their clothes removed without consent, while 12 percent reported being forced to receive or perform oral sex.

The results suggest that the reported rates of sexual misconduct at Princeton are significantly lower than actual rates of occurrence.

Amada Sandoval, director of the Princeton Women’s Center, told the The Daily Princetonian the results were “not anything unexpected.” According to The Princetonian, one Princeton administrator said the university did not want to attract unwanted attention by publicizing data on sexual activity that was in line with the national average for rape, which is one in five for women.

The report comes amid rising scrutiny into the sexual climate in college campuses across the country. In November 2011, a report from Yale’s Advisory Committee on Campus Climate concluded that students had misconceptions and a lack of information about the sexual misconduct resources available on campus. The report suggested Yale improve communication regarding sex-related resources, expand the Sexual Harassment and Assault Response & Education Center, and increase sexual misconduct prevention and intervention training on campus.

Results from Yale’s second campus sexual climate assessment survey, which are being conducted by Yale’s Title IX coordinators and began in November 2012, have not yet been released.