A new poll released by Quinnipiac University this morning found broad support for many of the gun-control proposals currently being debated in the state Legislature.

The poll, which sampled 1,009 Connecticut residents in early March with a 3-point margin of error, found that the majority of the state supports tightening generic gun-control laws.

“In the wake of the Newtown tragedy, there is overwhelming support among Connecticut voters for strengthening the state’s gun laws,” said Douglas Schwartz, the director of the Quinnipiac University Poll, in a press release. “It is remarkable how bipartisan the support is for some of the most talked-about gun-control measures.”

With 93 percent support, instituting universal background checks was the item that received the most bipartisan support. Even among gun owners, 89 percent support the measure while 9 percent oppose it.

Most other proposals receive a smaller margin of support, such as banning the statewide sale of assault weapons (68-28 percent), banning high-capacity magazines with more than 10 bullets (68-28 percent) and limiting handgun purchases to one per month (63-31 percent).

Despite their popularity, several of these proposals, namely tightening the assault weapons ban and limiting the size of ammunition magazines, did not appear on a Republican-sponsored list of gun-violence proposals released yesterday.

A final bill containing many of these proposals will likely be completed next week.

MICHELLE HACKMAN