THE NEWS

• Seeking to ease the particularly rocky adjustment from high school to college, Yale is set to debut a brand-new summer program this year. As part of its upcoming Summer Session, Yale will offer a five-week “summer bridge” program that invites roughly 30 accepted high school students to campus to be introduced to the academic and social environment of college life. Though the program — which is free to every invited student, covering all tuition and housing costs — was initially conceived in 2008, financial constraints forced Yale College to put the project on hold until last December, according to Yale College Dean Mary Miller.
  • Struggling to define its place and make a profit in a rapidly shifting media landscape, the Hartford Courant, Connecticut’s largest newspaper, launched a new website last week. The website, CourantPlus.com, requires registration and is an addition, not a replacement, to the paper’s long-standing free website. It is, however, a drastically different experience. The new website is simple, easy to navigate and almost entirely devoid of the banner ads, videos and other interruptions that litter Courant.com. While some see the site as a forerunner to a pay-wall site, where readers would need to buy subscriptions for access, the Courant’s owner, the Tribune Company, insists that the long-term direction of the site is still undetermined.
  • Inspired by President-elect Peter Salovey’s commitment make Yale more innovative and accessible, the Yale Information Technology Service is unrolling a University-wide initiative to enhance its technological resources. In a Wednesday email to the campus community, University Chief Information Officer Len Peters released a draft of the first University-wide three-year information technology plan and solicited comments from students, faculty and staff before the plan is finalized in April. The effort to develop the three-year plan was launched in December and aims to assimilate information and feedback from throughout the University to strengthen its technological capacities. Recommendations in the draft address topics that include technology in the classroom, web and email strategy and digital storage.

THE WEATHER

High of 47 degrees, low of 33 degrees, scattered showers.

THE FOOD

In the colleges

Breakfast: Steelcut Oats, Waffle Bar, Blueberry Sour Cream Coffee Cake Ring

Lunch: Corn & Bacon Chowder, Vegetable Barley Soup, Gnocchi with Sundried Tomatoes & Parmesan, Buffalo Chicken Pizza, All-Natural Grilled Chicken Breast, Grilled Garden Burger, All-Natural Cheeseburger, All-Natural Grilled Burger, North Carolina Pulled Pork Sandwich, Onion & Ricotta Wrap, Fresh Market Vegetable, Roasted Cauliflower & Radicchio Salad, Pasta Salad with Roasted Eggplant & Peppers, Honey Walnut Cookie, Cream Cheese Brownie

Dinner: Corn & Bacon Chowder, Vegetable Barley Soup, Chermoula Stuffed Chicken Breast, Gaked Orzo Ratatouille, Moroccan Bean Stew, All-Natural Grilled Chicken Breast, Grilled Garden Burger, All-Natural Cheeseburger, All-Natural Grilled Burger, Pork Burgers, Lemon Herbed Israeli Couscous, Fresh Market Vegetable, Roasted Cauliflower & Radicchio Salad, Pasta Salad with Roasted Eggplant & Peppers, Oreo Cheesecake Kiss

In Commons

Breakfast: Grits, Waffle Bar, Omelets To Order, Cage-Free Scrambled Egg Whites, Cage-Free Scrambled Eggs, Breakfast Ham Slice, Potatoes Pancakes, Blueberry Sour Cream Coffee Cake Ring

Lunch: Pumpkin Pear & Coriander Soup, Tortellini & Spinach Soup, Cashew Chili, Oven Fried Chicken, Spaghetti, Grilled Chicken Breast, Broccoli Quesadilla, Pepperoni Pizza, Cheese Pizza, Broccoli Bianca Pizza, Tofu & Vegetable Stir, Tofu & Bok Choy with Garlic Sauce, Vegetable Fried Rice, Jasmine Rice, Chicken Stir Fry With Teriyaki, Oven Roast Potatoes, Fresh Market Vegetable, Peas, Pasta Salad with Broccoli, Pinenuts & Raisins, Combination Salad, Honey Walnut Cookie, Cream Cheese Brownie

YALE DAILY NEWS