On hold. After the potential Department of Defense training center at the School of Medicine generated a storm of controversy, School of Medicine Dean Robert Alpern released a statement Thursday night saying the University will not move forward with the center until administrators can fully address concerns raised by the Yale and New Haven community. In recent days, the proposed center has been accused of ignoring Yale’s mission as a university and potentially exploiting minorities. Alpern’s statement followed one that was released earlier this week, in which administrators affirmed that the program, if implemented, would meet Yale’s academic standards.

It’s Oscar weekend. Although admissions booklet and film stars Jodie Foster ’85 and Meryl Streep DRA ’75 won’t be receiving any golden statues at Sunday night’s Academy Awards, Yale isn’t quite out of the hunt. “Silver Linings Playbook,” produced by Bruce Cohen ’83, is up for best picture. And if you thought the 2011 awards were dull, don’t worry: James Franco, formerly GRD ’16, won’t be hosting.

Fire and ice. A vivid dragon was spotted in the snow outside Book Trader Café on Chapel Street Thursday, seemingly oblivious to the cold air outside. Breathing flames this realistic, it’s a surprise the mythological masterpiece hasn’t already melted everything in sight. Make sure you catch this colorful critter before the sun chases it back into storybooks.

Due in court. East Haven resident Amanda Bowden, who threatened a mass shooting and bombing at Gateway Community College earlier this month, will appear in U.S. District Court in Bridgeport for a bail hearing today. Bowden, who faces six counts including false information, hoaxes and criminal trespassing, allegedly praised Newtown shooter Adam Lanza in conversations with an undercover agent.

Caveat emptor. The Yale Senior Class Council is now taking orders for black Ultrasuede “trapper hats” rimmed with faux fur for their 2013 class gift fundraiser. If you’re worried they’ll run out before you can get your hands on these chic chapeaux, perhaps you shouldn’t be. According to the promotional email, “there is a limited quality, so get yours today!” Typo? We hope they mean “quantity,” but let the buyer beware.

THIS DAY IN YALE HISTORY 1993 After a pipe bursts beneath the Pierson gate, more than 500 students in Davenport and Pierson are left without water or heat. Administrators immediately take drastic action, sprucing up the college courtyards with 20 portable toilets, giving students blankets and encouraging them to stay with other friends for the night.

Submit tips to Cross Campus crosscampus@yaledailynews.com

YALE DAILY NEWS