University | 8:30 pm | February 20, 2013 | By Marek Ramilo

With ‘The Brenzel,’ TD reinvents the Wenzel

Timothy Dwight Master Jeffrey Brenzel tries out the new sandwich — the "Brenzel" — that will soon adopt his name.
Timothy Dwight Master Jeffrey Brenzel tries out the new sandwich — the "Brenzel" — that will soon adopt his name. Photo by Diane Charney.

In celebration of Timothy Dwight Master Jeffrey Brenzel’s 60th birthday on Tuesday, several TD students and the TD writing tutor Diane Charney gave the storied master a gift that has secured his legacy at Yale: “The Brenzel,” a sandwich that will become the modern-day counterpart to the iconic Wenzel.

The sandwich — which will be served at Town Pizza on Whitney Avenue — was revealed on Tuesday under the guise of a Mellon Forum presentation on “Grand Strategy” by Alex Werrell ’13. At the event, attendees taste-tested four different sandwiches to determine the perfect one that would be receive the Brenzel distinction, though Charney declined to name which ones were preferred to keep a “certain air of mystery.” Participants were asked to place a red poker chip in the cup next to their chosen sandwich.

“Love the sandwich — had my first one last night, in fact,” Brenzel told the News. “Frankly, it’s good to be celebrated for anything, and I’ll gladly take a sandwich.”

Charney, who helped orchestrate the plot, had a grand vision for the newly christened “Brenzel,” saying she hoped it would be a “‘TD family kind of thing that would be regularly ordered for study breaks.” She added that there may need to be a runoff vote for the lucky winner, since not all participants are convinced about the outcome of the preliminary vote.

But that’s not all.

“Wenzel? Shmenzel! Try a Brenzel!” is the semi-defiant, super-catchy slogan being thrown around in support of the new sandwich on the block. Can this up-and-comer really dethrone the heavyweight prizewinner that is the ever-holy Wenzel? Maybe this weekend, when you’re stumbling back to your dorm, give Town Pizza a call and see if we’re on the verge of a turf war.