The men’s hockey team tied the defending national champions, No. 3 Boston College (12–3–2, 10–2–1 Hockey East Association), with an overtime 3–all draw on Friday, which marked the Yale’s last nonconference game of the 2012-’13 season.

The Eagles are not an opponent to be taken lightly: They won the NCAA Championship in 2008, 2010 and 2012. The No. 14 Bulldogs (7–4–3, 3–3-1 ECAC) managed to outshoot the Eagles by a huge margin of 48–22, but the scoreboard remained even at the final whistle.

Yale head coach Keith Allain ’80 said the team had many scoring opportunities, but added he was not happy with the result of the game. However, goalie Jeff Malcolm ’13 and the Bulldogs’ defensive lineups held Boston College to its second-lowest shot total of the year.

The Eagles scored late in the first period and early in the second, but the Bulldogs made a breakthrough in the second period with goals by Colin Dueck ’13, Ryan Obuchowski ’16 and team captain Andrew Miller ’13 at 5:48, 11:37 and 12:50 in the second, respectively. Boston College tipped in the equalizer at 16:33 on a five-on-three advantage.

The Bulldogs started the third period with a five-minute power play, as Boston College defender Michael Matheson incurred a major penalty for contact to the head at the second period whistle. But Yale did not score on any of the five shots it took during this man-advantage; the score held steady at 3–3 through the third period and the five–minute overtime.

Next weekend, the Bulldogs will return to conference play after their three-game winter break with away games against St. Lawrence (8–9–2, 1–4–2 ECAC) and Clarkson (4–10–5, 3–3–1 ECAC). In November, Yale beat St. Lawrence 4–2 and lost to Clarkson 1–0.