The new year is already going well for Yale President Richard Levin — the New Haven Register named him its 2012 “Person of the Year” on Jan. 1.

The Register called 2012 an “exceptional” year for Levin, noting his leadership in securing labor contracts with Yale unions over the summer, completing a “masterful renovation” of the Yale University Art Gallery and bringing the University’s five-year, $3.88 billion fundraising campaign to a close, among other accomplishments.

The article lauded Levin’s efforts throughout his presidency to support and enrich the city through initiatives like the President’s Public Service Fellowship Program, partnerships with local schools and the University’s involvement with commercial properties in downtown New Haven.

The editorial staff of the Register selected Levin after calling for nominees from readers for someone who “has had an impact, worked for change, or pursued a passion that has made a difference in Greater New Haven.”

Though the title is Levin’s first commendation of 2013, the article predicts it won’t be his last, suggesting that the accolades he has received while preparing to step down “are only likely to multiply, as the academic year continues to unfold.”

The Register also mentioned other nominees for the title, publishing a “rest of the best for 2012” list that included Gateway Community College President Dorsey Kendrick, State Commissioner of Education Stefan Pryor and the collective Yale Law School student body.

JULIA ZORTHIAN