Despite a 36–31 shots-on-goal advantage and a three-for-six power play success rate, No. 15 Yale fell to Holy Cross 5–4 on Sunday afternoon.

The nonconference game, held at the New England Sports Center in Marlborough, Mass., marked the first-ever win for the Crusaders (10–4–2, 6–3–2 Atlantic Hockey Association) over the Bulldogs (7–4–2, 3–3–1 ECAC) in the teams’ five-game history. Bulldog goalie Jeff Malcolm ’13 stopped 26 shots, but most of the game’s scoring action came down to the special teams.

As in Friday’s 10–2 win over the Russian Red Stars, the Bulldogs capitalized on three of six power plays with goals by Kenny Agostino ’14, Nicholas Weberg ’15 and Antoine Laganiere ’13. But the Crusaders scored on three of their eight one-man advantages and also tipped in a short-handed and an even-handed goal to secure the 5–4 win.

With just 22 seconds left in the second period, forward Cody Learned ’16 took a five-minute major penalty for hitting from behind. Yale started the third period down 3–2, but Holy Cross took full advantage of its extended power play, scoring at 2:02 and 3:24 in the final frame.

Though Weberg and Laganiere scored at 11:59 and 18:05, the Bulldogs could not even the scoreboard before the final whistle.

Yale is currently ranked 18th in the NCAA on the power play with a success rate of 19.7 percent, with 14 goals on 71 power plays.

The Bulldogs will travel to Boston College next Friday to take on the No. 1 Eagles (12–3–1, 7–2–1 Hockey East). Boston College won the NCAA Championship in 2012, 2010 and 2008 and is currently ranked first place nationally.