THE NEWS

• Yale students drink more than the average for college students nationwide, according to a survey from the Office of Institutional Research. As part of its participation in the National College Health Improvement Project — a consortium of 32 colleges aiming to reduce high-risk drinking on their campuses — the University began conducting an ongoing survey of student drinking habits in fall of 2011.
  • Pulitzer Prize-winning journalist and managing editor of the Columbia Journalism Review Dean Starkman spoke Thursday afternoon about the importance of investigative journalism for the future of the field. About 20 Yale students and alumni attended a Calhoun College Master’s Tea featuring Starkman, who focused his talk on “accountability reporting,” using the media’s failure to predict the 2008 financial crisis before it occurred as an example.
  • In effort to promote excellence in teaching, Yale is expanding its teaching program for graduate students to include faculty members. In a Nov. 15 email to the faculty, Provost Peter Salovey announced the creation of the University-wide Yale Teaching Center to replace the Graduate Teaching Center, which trains graduate students to become teaching fellows or other teaching positions after Yale. Assistant Dean of the Graduate School and newly appointed YTC Director Bill Rando said the center aims to recognize and support teaching at the University while promoting discussion about educational strategies.

THE WEATHER
High of 42 degrees, low of 31 degrees, wintry mix.

THE FOOD

In the colleges

Breakfast: Maple Flavored Organic Oatmeal, Waffle Bar, Apple Cinnamon Muffin

Lunch: New England Clam Chowder, Argentinian Sierra Beef Sandwich, Chilaquiles Verdes with Tofu, Tex-Mex Chicken Breast, All-Natural Grilled Chicken Breast, Grilled Garden Burger, BLAT Sandwich, Peruvian Corn Salad, Mexican Tabbouleh Salad, Orange Cranberry White Choc Chip Bar, Coconut Macaroon

Dinner: Fresh Catch of the Day, Chipotle Tomato Salsa, Roasted Pepper Enchilada, Cochinita Pibil, Portabella Fajita, All-Natural Grilled Chicken Breast, Mexican Rice, Peruvian Corn Salad, Mexican Tabbouleh Salad, Mexican Hot Chocolate Sheet Cake

In Commons

Breakfast: Chocolate Chip Pancakes, Maple Flavored Organic Oatmeal, Waffle Bar, Omelets To-Order, Sweet Potato Home Fries, Apple Cinnamon Muffin

Lunch: Manhattan Clam Chowder, Chilaquiles Verdes with Tofu, Boston Baked Cod, Linguine, Grilled Tuna, Provolone & Tomato On Whole Wheat, Pepperoni Pizza, Cheese Pizza, Broccoli Bianca Pizza, Chef’s Choice WOK, Jasmine Rice, Tofu Lo Mein, Tex-Mex Rice, Roasted Broccoli & Cauliflower

YALE DAILY NEWS