War of the worlds. The first snowfall of the year blanketed New Haven yesterday, turning Yale’s campus into a sea of white and prompting students to launch snowballs at one another. In honor of the wintry event, the Freshman Class Council organized a massive midnight snowfall fight on Old Campus, while Berkeley College split into two factions — North Court and South Court — and lobbed snowballs at each other. A winter wonderland indeed.

Frosty comes to Yale? As the snow fell down, snowmen rose up, popping up around campus throughout the day. Several giant snowmen were spotted relaxing on Old Campus and Silliman College’s courtyard, seemingly comfortable despite the freezing temperatures.

Walk out. A group of roughly 15 graduate students staged a walkout yesterday afternoon in response to a talk by former German defense minister Karl-Theodor zu Guttenberg. After Guttenberg was introduced, the protesters booed and heckled the former minister — who was forced to resign in March 2011 for plagiarizing his doctoral thesis — before walking out of the room. According to a flyer distributed by the protesters, Guttenberg “derid[ed] the academic community” and “den[ied] the relevance of academic integrity.”

Bundle up! Juniors and seniors in the School of Engineering celebrated “Hoodie Day” last night, receiving their traditional blue engineering sweatshirts amid food from Mamoun’s Falafel, music and much fanfare. The social event aimed to bring engineering students together as the students donned their new sweatshirts, which came just in time for the snowy weather.

Saved once more. The Yale Admissions Office extended its early application deadline again, pushing the due date back four days from Nov. 5 to Nov. 9 due to power outages and school closings.

Yalies go to Washington. As Election Night wrapped up on Tuesday, more than a dozen Yale alums also took office, including Ohio Senator Sherrod Brown ’74, Rhode Island Congressman Sheldon Whitehouse ’78, Conn. Congresswoman Elizabeth Etsy LAW ’85, Minnesota Senator Amy Klobuchar ’82 and North Dakota Gov. Jack Dalrymple ’70.

THIS DAY IN YALE HISTORY 1993 University President Richard Levin becomes an honorary Pundits member after the society crashes his weekly pick-up basketball game. Levin, who had been playing with 10 Branford students when the group arrived, let the society present him with a live lobster named Lucy and a pumpkin signed by Pundits members.