Strength in numbers. A group of 50 sophomores took the Halloween spirit to heart yesterday when they banded together to dress up as the “Fifty Shades of Grey,” a nod to the best-selling erotic novel that has taken the world by storm. Another student took a different route, wearing a giant Yale ID card with a hole in the photo area for his head.

The gnomes who saved Halloween. After Mayor John DeStefano Jr. urged residents to refrain from trick-or-treating due to ongoing hurricane repair efforts, a group of Davenport students decided to save the holiday themselves, organizing an indoor trick-or-treating route among Davenport suites for the children of residential college masters. More than 14 suites participated in the effort, collectively handing out a variety of sweets, including Starbursts, lollipops and Butterfingers.

But some things had to go. Silliman College did not hold its annual haunted house last night and has decided to offer its popular exhibition only once every two years in the future. In addition, Berkeley College had to suspend its traditional “liquor treating” activities this year after the Yale College Dean’s Office requested that students refrain from holding large parties involving alcohol.

Where are you, “Lindyloo”? A fake “University Update” allegedly sent by newest campus celebrity University Vice President Linda Lorimer hit Yalies’ inboxes Wednesday afternoon, offering advice on clothing, note-taking and flashlights. The email, sent by “lindyloo@yale.edu,” urged students to wear clothing appropriate for the 56-degree weather and to take classroom notes by hand.

Showing support. Following the abrupt closure of Indigo Blue and departure of former Buddhist Chaplain Bruce Blair ’81, University Chaplain Sharon Kugler reaffirmed her office’s support for Buddhist life at Yale in a Tuesday email.

Say your thanks. Today marks the second annual “Elihu Day,” an event sponsored by the Yale Alumni Fund that gives students a chance to sign more than 500 “thank you” cards to be delivered to the University’s different donors.

Singing with the stars. A track off the Duke’s Men album “Busted” has been selected for inclusion in an a cappella compilation album called “Sing 9.” The track, titled “It Started in the Winter,” is one of six collegiate tracks and several professional tracks selected for the album.

THIS DAY IN YALE HISTORY 1993 “The Great Gatsby,” a nightclub located on College Street, looks to obtain a liquor license.