THE NEWS

• The New Haven Green, whose benches and bus stops traditionally serve as makeshift homes for the city’s homeless, was deserted Monday afternoon as homeless residents attempted to escape the weather. Across the city, homeless residents have taken to shelters, bus stops and covered areas to avoid the onslaught of wind and rain that promises to continue for at least the next day.
  • Strong endowment returns across the Ivy League last year seemed to herald the end of the economic recession. But returns this year were far less promising. Yale’s endowment posted a 4.7 percent return in the fiscal year that ended June 30 — a sharp decrease from last year’s 21.9 percent return. The University’s endowment performance was still second-best in the Ivy League, trailing behind Dartmouth’s 5.8 percent return and ahead of Harvard’s 0.05 percent loss, the worst Ivy League endowment performance this year.
  • Gods and generals, superheroes and aliens, intergalactic warfare and Greek tragedy will come together this Wednesday in “Iphigenia Among the Stars.” A School of Drama world premiere, “Iphigenia” will be a thesis show for directing student Jack Tamburri DRA ’13, who worked with writer Benjamin Fainstein DRA ’13 to weave the text of Euripides’ two plays centering on the tragic heroine, “Iphigenia in Aulis” and “Iphigenia Among the Taurians,” with the language and aesthetics of the 1970s superhero comics of Jack Kirby.

THE WEATHER

High of 63 degrees, low of 49 degrees, showers.

THE FOOD

In the colleges

Lunch: Grilled-to-order Star Ranch All Natural Burgers & Cheeseburgers, All Natural Chicken Breasts, Jumbo All Beef Franks, Gardenburgers The Original, Gardenburger Black Bean Veggie Burgers, or Grilled Tofu, plus French Fries.

Dinner: Grilled-to-order Star Ranch All Natural Burgers & Cheeseburgers, All Natural Chicken Breasts, Jumbo All Beef Franks, Gardenburgers The Original, Gardenburger Black Bean Veggie Burgers, or Grilled Tofu, plus French Fries.

In Commons

Commons will be closed Tuesday due to the storm.