The extension of the Early Action application deadline to Nov 5. will only apply to students directly affected by the storm, according to the Office of Undergraduate Admissions.

“This only applies to students directly affected by Hurricane Sandy, i.e. those living in the Northeast,” reads a clarification on the Admissions Facebook page, in response to an applicant’s question about the conditions of the extension.

Dean of Undergraduate Admissions Jeffrey Brenzel ’75 said in an email that the closure of the physical office space does not generally disrupt the office’s work at this time of year, since all applications reside in an online system and admissions officers with Internet access are still able to read them. But, he said, the office is still closed to employees and visitors alike due to unsafe weather conditions.

“In any event, we have contacted all candidates who had registered for a campus visit or an on-campus interview for Monday or Tuesday to let them know of the closure, and let them know of opportunities to reschedule,” Brenzel said in the email.

The Yale Admissions Office had extended the deadline for early action applicants by four days, from Nov. 1 to Nov. 5, in light of the Frankenstorm.

According to the Admissions Facebook page, the Common Application and Yale Supplement will still be due at the regular Nov. 1 deadline for students outside the Northeast and not directly affected by the storm.

AMY WANG