With the help of a $1.95 million grant from the Andrew W. Mellon Foundation, the Graduate School will offer a new concentration for PhD students entitled “Technologies of Knowledge” next spring.

Part of the grant’s broader aim to enhance humanities education at Yale, the new concentration will provide 12 third-year doctoral students with an additional year of funding to pursue interdisciplinary research. The students will also take Technologies of Knowledge, a two-semester seminar taught by classics professor Emily Greenwood, film and humanities professor Francesco Casetti and philosophy and psychology professor Tamar Gendler.

“The goal of the Concentration is to enable students to pursue new knowledge at the edges and intersections of traditional disciplines and to learn how to make use of new media for scholarly expression, thereby expanding their intellectual reach as scholars and teachers in the humanities and humanistic social sciences,” Yale College Dean Mary Miller and Graduate School Dean Thomas Pollard said in an official announcement to the Graduate School Tuesday.

In addition to the graduate concentration, the grant also funds 10 faculty workshops for examining strategies to enhance humanities education for undergraduates. Miller said faculty from across the humanities and social sciences are using these workshops to analyze teaching tactics and consider techniques to integrate undergraduate courses into multiple disciplines.

Applications for Technologies of Knowledge will open this semester, and the first class in the Mellon concentration will begin study this spring.