October 9th, 2012 | City

Murphy takes the lead in polls

After poll numbers for weeks indicated a dead heat between Republican Linda McMahon and her Democratic opponent in Connecticut's Senate race, Chris Murphy, she now appears to be losing ground.
After poll numbers for weeks indicated a dead heat between Republican Linda McMahon and her Democratic opponent in Connecticut's Senate race, Chris Murphy, she now appears to be losing ground. Photo by Michelle Hackman.

In the latest poll published on the senate race between U.S. Representative Chris Murphy (D) and Linda McMahon (R), Murphy is pulling ahead with a 5 percentage point lead.

The Monday poll, conducted by conservative-leaning pollster Rasmussen, surveyed 500 likely voters after the senate debate on Sunday morning. While 51 percent of likely voters said they would support Murphy, 46 percent said they were in favor of McMahon.

“Murphy’s lead is largely derived from ‘leaners’,” according to the poll. “These are people who initially indicate no preference for either of the candidates but indicate they are leaning towards one candidate when asked a follow-up question.”

When likely voters are not included in the analysis, the poll puts Murphy’s lead at 47 percent of the vote, just 1 percentage point ahead of McMahon.

The poll had a 4.5 percent margin of error.