Only at Yale can a violin student be one of the hottest bachelors in the U.S.

Christian Kim MUS ’13 is one of 50 bachelors in the running for Cosmopolitan Magazine’s “Bachelor of the Year 2012” contest, a title that would also bring him $10,000. As the first violinist to be nominated for the title, the half-Korean, half-German musician said he hopes the contest shows students another side of classical music.

“It could be nice for readers to see a violinist who is closer to their age,” Kim told the News, adding that the music, not the musician, should always be the central focus. He said the current challenge facing young musicians is presenting classical music in an accessible manner and helping young people feel more comfortable with the genre.

Kim was was nominated by a friend last April and became the state’s official nominee in May. He said he is honored to represent the state, Yale and young musicians in general.

“I chose Yale for being amazing in so many different departments, for its strong community,” he said, adding that he would encourage Yalies to take advantage of the “amazing” classical music opportunities available at the University.

But Kim is not only passionate about music. Once, he drove all night to see a girl for just 30 minutes, he told Cosmopolitan Magazine.

Online voting began on Monday and will last until Oct. 18, when Kim is scheduled to appear on the Today Show with the other bachelors. After that, the magazine will pick one winner from the top 10 bachelors.