Charles Goodyear ’80 and Paul Joskow GRD ’72, the chair and vice-chair of the presidential search committee, sent an email Tuesday to undergrads, inviting them to an open forum to discuss the search for Yale’s next president.

The event will be held on Friday, Sept. 28 at 2:30 p.m. in Battell Chapel.

Goodyear’s email asked students to prepare their views on Yale’s strengths and weaknesses, and on the attributes students hope to see in the next president. Student input will be limited to three minutes each, but those with longer messages can submit them at a University website created for the search.

“Your contributions will be invaluable when we begin the process of reviewing candidates for this position, and we appreciate your interest and involvement in these important deliberations,” the two wrote in their email.

See the full message below:

On behalf of the Yale Corporation and the Presidential Search Committee, we write to invite you to join us for an Open Forum on Friday, September 28, 2012, at 2:30 p.m. in Battell Chapel to offer your observations, advice and feedback to us as we embark on a search for the next President of Yale. We especially solicit your views on the following questions:

What are some of the outstanding things that Yale currently does that must be maintained in the years ahead?

What are areas and items that Yale needs to improve or develop in order to maintain its role as one of world’s leading educational institutions?

What are the critical attributes of the next president of Yale?

So that we may hear from as many members of the undergraduate community as possible, we ask you to limit your spoken remarks to three minutes. We invite anyone who wishes to provide longer observations to do so in writing. You may also send comments to us directly via the Presidential Search website at http://presidential-search.yale.edu/

Your contributions will be invaluable when we begin the process of reviewing candidates for this position, and we appreciate your interest and involvement in these important deliberations.

Sincerely,

Charles Goodyear, Chair of the Presidential Search Committee

Paul Joskow, Vice-Chair of the Presidential Search Committee