Economics professor Steven Berry will chair a committee this year responsible for reviewing the allocation of faculty positions across departments, Provost Peter Salovey announced in a Friday memo to the Faculty of Arts and Sciences.

Appointment of the Academic Review Committee follows a recommendation made in a spring report on faculty resources that an academic review, which last took place at the University between 1990 and 1992, be held roughly once a decade to help “keep Yale at the frontiers in the advance of knowledge.” The committee will consist of Yale College Dean Mary Miller, Graduate School Dean Thomas Pollard and 12 faculty members representing 15 departments in the FAS.

Salovey said in the memo that the committee will consider a range of factors in recommending any potential changes to the structure of the FAS, including course enrollments, subfields within disciplines and the sizes of departments at peer universities.

The Academic Review Committee’s work could continue past the end of the 2012-’13 academic year, Salovey said in a June memo to faculty.

Membership of the Academic Review Committee:

Steven Berry, James Burrows Moffatt Professor of Economics and Director of the Division of Social Sciences, Chair

Julia Adams, Professor and Chair of Sociology

Michael Donoghue, Sterling Professor of Ecology and Evolutionary Biology

Jack Dovidio, Professor of Psychology

Jonathan Ellman, Professor of Chemistry and Director of the Division of Physical Sciences and Engineering

Donald Engelman, Eugene Higgins Professor of Molecular Biophysics and Biochemistry and Director of the Division of Biological Sciences

Tamar Gendler, Professor and Chair of Philosophy

Jonathan Holloway, Professor of History, African American Studies, and American Studies

Lawrence Manley, William R. Kenan Professor of English and Director of the Division of the Humanities

Mary Miller, Dean of Yale College and Sterling Professor of History of Art

Tom Pollard, Dean of the Graduate School of Arts and Sciences, Sterling Professor of Molecular, Cellular, and Developmental Biology, and Professor of Molecular Biophysics and Biochemistry

Ramamurti Shankar, John Randolph Huffman Professor of Physics and Applied Physics

Ian Shapiro, Sterling Professor of Political Science and Henry R. Luce Director of the MacMillan Center for International and Area Studies

Jing Tsu, Professor of East Asian Languages and Literatures

GAVAN GIDEON