August 23rd, 2012 | University

Kissinger Fellow Crocker faces DUI, hit-and-run charges

Ryan Crocker, a former U.S. ambassador to Iraq and a Yale Kissinger Fellow scheduled to teach this fall, faces drunk driving and hit-and-run charges in Washington state.
Ryan Crocker, a former U.S. ambassador to Iraq and a Yale Kissinger Fellow scheduled to teach this fall, faces drunk driving and hit-and-run charges in Washington state. Photo by Yale.

Former U.S. Ambassador Ryan Crocker, who was named Yale’s first Kissinger Senior Fellow earlier this month, is facing drunk driving and hit-and-run charges in Washington state.

On Aug. 14, Crocker hit a semi-truck in Spokane Valley, Wash., when he tried to make a right turn from the left lane, before registering a .160 and .152 blood-alcohol content in successive breath tests, authorities allege, according to the Associated Press. A day after the arrest, Yale announced that it had appointed Crocker to a position at the Johnson Center for the Study of American Diplomacy and would have the former U.S. Ambassador to Afghanistan and several other Middle Eastern countries teach students in the 2012-’13 academic year.

Driving a 2009 Ford Mustang convertible, Crocker tried to turn right from the left lane, into the path of a truck in the right lane, State Patrol Trooper Troy Briggs told the Associated Press. Though Crocker’s car spun out after the two vehicles collided, Crocker kept driving, Briggs said. Crocker was apprehended after a witness followed him to a nearby bank and called the police.

“[Crocker] was very cooperative but obviously intoxicated,” Briggs told the Associated Press.

Crocker pleaded not guilty to the charges against him on the following day, KXLY-TV reported.

At Yale, Crocker is slated to teach a unit on Afghanistan in the College’s “Gateway to Global Affairs” class this fall, as well as two seminars in the spring. It is not yet known how the charges will impact his teaching role at Yale.

Crocker’s next court appearance is scheduled for Sept. 12.