Sharon Kugler will stay on as University Chaplain for another five years, University President Richard Levin announced Tuesday.

Kugler, who has held her post since 2007, is tasked with overseeing the Chaplain’s Office, the University’s central organization for religious groups and a source of support services during campus crises. She has been instrumental in promoting religious diversity and a “climate of inclusion” on campus, Levin said in a Tuesday email to the Yale community.

“Chaplain Kugler has been a counselor to all — including the students and deans of Yale College, the Graduate School and the professional schools,” Levin wrote. “She has been so engaged with undergraduates in particular that several residential college masters described her as ‘the thirteenth master.’”

Under Kugler’s tenure, the Chaplain’s Office has announced several initiatives designed to mitigate the stresses of college life. Global Grounds, an alcohol-free weekend hangout program for students, began in March 2010, and the Chaplain’s Office launched its technology-free zone for unwinding, known as “Breathing Space,” last September. A program for chaplaincy fellows, who will hold events in residential colleges that encourage reflection and interfaith dialogue, is slated to begin this fall.

Kugler’s reappointment took effect July 1.