City | 10:27 pm | May 15, 2012 | By Nick Defiesta

Convention vote boosts Murphy in Senate race

Former Connecticut Secretary of the State Susan Bysiewicz '83 suffered a lopsided defeat to U.S. Rep. Chris Murphy at the Democratic nominating convention, but she vowed to contest the Aug. 14 primary in their Senate race.
Former Connecticut Secretary of the State Susan Bysiewicz '83 suffered a lopsided defeat to U.S. Rep. Chris Murphy at the Democratic nominating convention, but she vowed to contest the Aug. 14 primary in their Senate race. Photo by Grace Patuwo.

U.S. Rep. Chris Murphy sealed his front-runner status in the race to replace departing U.S. Sen. Joseph Lieberman ’64 LAW ’67 with an overwhelming endorsement from state Democrats.

Murphy bested former Connecticut Secretary of State Susan Bysiewicz ’83 in the Democratic nominating contest this weekend, winning the support of 1,378 state delegates over Bysiewicz’s 444. But with 24 percent of delegates, Bysiewicz exceeded the 15 percent threshold needed to force an Aug. 14 Democratic primary.

“We haven’t seen a convention be this lopsided in a while for statewide office,” Murphy said in a press conference after his victory, according to the Connecticut Mirror. “It’s really fantastic to know that the vast majority of Democrats, by a three-to-one margin here, believe that I’m the right candidate to be the next U.S. senator.”

Bysiewicz said she planned to remain in the race until the primary, arguing that she was the candidate in the race best suited to fight for Connecticut’s middle class. The nomination of a Democratic candidate is best left to voters, she said, not a handful of political elites.

The winner of the August primary will go on to face either wrestling magnate Linda McMahon, who as the 2010 Republican nominee lost to Sen. Richard Blumenthal LAW ’73, or Republican former U.S. Rep. Chris Shays.

A March Quinnipiac University poll found that Murphy would triumph over either McMahon or Shays, while Bysiewicz would defeat McMahon but lose to Shays. The poll also found that McMahon leads Shays for the Republican nomination by a margin of nine percentage points.

• Boogs

Unrelated but I wonder why the following: On Saturday, the Yale community received this message from Chief Wiggins: “The New Haven Police are investigating a shooting that occurred at Starr and Sheldon Terrace (Click here to view the incident’s location) at approximately 7:00 PM. A male victim was shot in the leg. The victim, who is not affiliated with Yale, walked into Yale-New Haven Hospital and reported that he was shot at Starr and Sheldon Terrace. New Haven Police are on scene and investigating.”

There are been two gun-shot murders of non-Yale affiliates in 24 hours within (very) close proximity to campus properties — and nothing? Why?