April 10th, 2012 | City

Occupy gets another chance to stay on Green

A federal judge has ruled that the city has the authority to require that Occupy New Haven leave the Green.
A federal judge has ruled that the city has the authority to require that Occupy New Haven leave the Green. Photo by Joyce Xi.

Just as bulldozers were knocking down Occupy New Haven’s encampment on the New Haven Green, a federal judge gave the protesters one more reprieve.

On Monday, federal judge Mark Kravitz ruled that the city could lawfully remove protesters’ tents from the New Haven Green. Kravitz gave the Occupiers until noon today to leave. But as city workers began to disassemble the encampment just after noon, and two Occupiers were arrested for interfering with the eviction, both sides received word that Occupy attorney Norm Pattis had successfully received a third stay for the protest from a federal court of appeals in New York.

Counsel Victor Bolden said the city stopped the eviction as soon as it received notice from the court. The third stay, Bolden said, would last until a panel of three judges can hear Pattis’ appeal, which he said would probably be sometime next week.

“I want no one to mistake my view that the people of New Haven deserve the New Haven Green back,” Mayor John DeStefano Jr. said at a press conference after the attempted eviction. “In the six months that the Occupy encampment has existed on the Green, the city has acted in a cooperative and supportive fashion in terms of free speech, the intended use of the Green. However, I don’t think it’s appropriate for a few to monopolize one of the central assets of the city of New Haven.”

Following the announcement of the court’s decision, Occupiers celebrated, chanting at police and public workers. They said they are planning a party on the Green on April 15, the movement’s six month anniversary. Occupy protesters interviewed said that, before the judge’s stay came, the police had removed 20 to 25 percent of the encampment.

• lakia

Perfect for Bulldog days. Hellooo Harvard.

• 13

Agreed. Can’t we just make them disappear for bulldog days?

• meep15

Oh joy…

Honestly, there comes a point when “awareness” becomes “annoyance”

• guestuser

Completely absurd. Occupy New Haven lost all of its credibility as a “movement” when the Green became some derelict circus. Standing on the sidewalk next to the Green for only a few minutes today it was obvious that nobody wanted this mess to remain on the Green one moment longer–with the exception of the occupy participants, who appear to have completely lost their grip on Occupy Wall St’s principles (as well as lost their grip on reality more generally.)

Clean it up. Let’s move on.

• basho

anyone see how much trash there was in the tent they removed? wtf

• ohno

WTF. Yes, the people of New Haven have the right to the Green, and that means not watching it turned into a garbage dump. So excited for them to heckle the prospective prefrosh on BDD. Not.

• tak

As a parent, I visited Yale last weekend. Because of where my hotel room was located, I had to walk past the Green after dark. With a racing pulse, it was scary to race/walk past the encampment which emitted strange sounds and worse smells. Is this what my $40,000+ a year buys me! It’s time!