March 27th, 2012 | University

Princeton moves to keep freshmen away from Greeks

Princeton University, above, will not allow freshmen to attend Greek formal or semiformal events.
Princeton University, above, will not allow freshmen to attend Greek formal or semiformal events. Photo by Wikimedia Commons.

Princeton freshmen are now prohibited from attending all Greek formal and semiformal events, the Daily Princetonian reported.

Last August, Princeton administrators announced that Princeton freshmen cannot rush fraternities or sororities. But on Sunday, a committee of students and administrators charged with outlining the specifics of the ban released a report stating that freshmen students who “knowingly” rush or pledge a Greek organization, Greek members who plan events for this purpose and freshmen who attend Greek-sponsored formal and semiformal events will be suspended from the university.

“We agreed that the intention of the policy is to allow freshmen a full year of exposure to the social and residential aspects of University life without the distraction of fraternity and sorority activity,” the report states.

Yale announced a ban on fall rush for freshmen earlier this month, though University administrators have not yet hammered out the ban’s specifics.

• yalefraternity2013

Princeton is pathetic. What is with this assault on Greek life? You think that underage drinking, hazing, and all other negative things associated with fraternities don’t occur with athletic, political or singing groups? Get real. Administrators at Princeton and now Yale have completely lost touch. Even more frightening is the fact that administrators think they know best for students. Maybe they should mandate eating veggies at lunch and dinner as well.

• penny_lane

This is silly. People over 18 should be allowed to make their own decisions on these matters.

• Goldie08

Now I know the reason for Yale’s recent rush ban: Princeton did it! (sounds a lot like “Simpsons did it!” from south park). Yale, often a follower, rarely a leader.

Also, what is a “semi-formal” event? Are they referring strictly to the attire or some established protocal or status that makes an event “formal?” All this rule will do will force frats to add the label “informal” to any party fliers they post. “Well, it says informal right on the flyer…” And again, what oversight does the university have on our off campus fraternities? Still looking for some kind of answer on that.

I’ll end with a timeless quote:

“Ladies and gentlemen, I’ll be brief. The issue here is not whether we broke a few rules, or took a few liberties with our female party guests – we did. But you can’t hold a whole fraternity responsible for the behavior of a few, sick twisted individuals. For if you do, then shouldn’t we blame the whole fraternity system? And if the whole fraternity system is guilty, then isn’t this an indictment of our educational institutions in general? I put it to you, Greg – isn’t this an indictment of our entire American society? Well, you can do whatever you want to us, but we’re not going to sit here and listen to you badmouth the United States of America. Gentlemen!”

• Pingback: Google

• Pingback: free original music tracks

• Pingback: online poker spielen

• Pingback: Maryland Web Design

• Pingback: co to jest aspartam

• Pingback: capsiplex discount code

• Pingback: giocare alle slot machine da bar gratis

• Pingback: korra

• Pingback: casino anmeldebonus ohne einzahlung

• Pingback: live casino ohne einzahlung

• Pingback: video genesis review

• Pingback: Cockatoo

• Pingback: weight loss tips

• Pingback: North Dakota oil jobs

• Pingback: book of ra spielen