Connecticut residents support the legalization of medical marijuana but oppose the repeal of the death penalty, according to a Quinnipiac University poll released Wednesday.

Sixty-eight percent of the poll’s respondents said they support allowing patients with a chronic illness to obtain small amounts of marijuana with a prescription. Only 27 percent said they oppose medical marijuana. The study found similar numbers in support of capital punishment — 62 percent said they are in favor of keeping the death penalty, and only 31 percent said they want to repeal it.

The poll was released hours before both of the measures were slated to come to a vote in the state legislature’s judiciary committee. The committee endorsed the marijuana bill Wednesday afternoon.

Gov. Dannel Malloy is looking better in the poll, with an approval rating of 44 percent — up 3 points since September — and widespread support for his education reform plans. The poll found respondents support Malloy’s plan to reform teacher tenure 54 percent to 35 percent, and approve of making it easier to fire teachers 62 percent to 31 percent.

Additionally, voters want liquor stores to sell alcoholic beverages on Sunday by a 54 to 42 percent margin. A measure to revise Connecticut’s liquor laws to allow Sunday sales, among other changes, sailed through the state legislature’s General Law Committee Tuesday and looks set to pass the General Assembly.