Jaden Schwartz — the brother of former women’s hockey player Mandi Schwartz ’11 — signed a three-year, entry level contact with the National Hockey League’s St. Louis Blues on Monday.

The Blues drafted Schwartz, now 19, in the first round of 2010s draft. He won’t spend time at the Blues’ Peoria, Ill. farm team, but will instead go straight to the Blues. He may be available to play on Tuesday night as the Blues, currently riding a five-game winning streak to first place in the NHL’s Western Conference, take on the Chicago Blackhawks.

In an article posted to NHL.com, Schwartz said getting drafted is a “dream come true.”

“We’ve been through some hard times lately,” Schwartz said of his family. “This is something that definitely makes them [his parents] smile and I know they’re extremely excited for this.”

Schwartz just finished his sophomore season playing left wing for the Colorado College Tigers, scoring 15 goals and making 26 assists in 30 games. He was the top-scoring freshman in the nation last year, earning an average of 1.56 goals per game. A native of Wilcox, Canada, a small town in the prairie province of Saskatchewan, Schwartz was named captain of Team Canada in the 2012 World Juniors Championship in Edmonton and Calgary, and was selected as Canada’s “Player of the Game” during the semifinal match against Russia.

Blues’ General Manager Doug Armstrong told NHL.com News that the coaches will help Schwartz acclimate to NHL-level play and probably will not put him on the ice right away.

“We just felt that where he’s at in his career, where he’s at in his game and where we’re at in our season and with our personnel, it was worth the risk to bring him onto our team,” Armstrong said.