Yale Police Department officers arrested six men outside Stoeckel Hall on College and Wall Streets around 1:30 a.m. Friday.

The arrests came after YPD Officer Dan Sentementes saw an altercation at the corner of Elm and College Streets at 12:54 a.m., YPD Assistant Chief Michael Patten said. When Sentementes approached the scene, several men jumped into a grey sedan parked at the intersection and fled the scene. Sentementes stopped the vehicle on College Street outside Stoeckel Hall.

“Subsequent investigation revealed that an altercation took place with three other men which culminated in one of the men, Louis Edwards Jr., demanding the victim’s cell phone and striking him in the face,” Patten said.

The men were handcuffed and seated on the path outside Stoeckel Hall for more than half an hour before they were loaded into a police vehicle and driven away to the New Haven Police Department for booking and processing shortly after 2 a.m. At least five YPD vehicles were on the scene. The sedan was towed away while the men were seated.

All six men were arrested for conspiracy to commit second degree robbery. Edwards was also charged with a criminal attempt to commit second degree robbery and third degree assault.

Edwards’ victim refused medical attention, Patten said.