Rest in peace. Responding to a report that a person had been shot at 70 Bassett St., a New Haven Police Department officer shot and killed a pit bull at the address when it ran at him and his dog, Boris. Boris and the officer were not harmed.

Rolling in the dough. An annual report released by the Council for Aid to Education last week showed that 14 Connecticut universities raised a combined $746 million in 2011, with Yale receiving more than three-quarters of all donations. Spurred by the end of the Yale Tomorrow fundraising campaign, the University’s $580 million total was the third-largest in the country, falling short of Stanford’s $709 million and Harvard’s $639 million.

Matchmaker expands. A version of HarvardLunch and YaleLunch, websites which randomly match up interested students to grab lunch, popped up at Princeton about two weeks ago, the Daily Princetonian reported.

Not the usual ecstasy. New Haven Police Department officers arrested three men last Thursday during a dubstep event at Toad’s after they were caught with Ecstasy powder, NHPD spokesman David Hartman said.

In case you missed it. Actress and writer Evelina Fernández was on campus Friday for a performance of her play, “Luminarias,” put on by ¡Teatro! de Yale College.

Hackathon. The student group Yale Hackers held a Google- and Microsoft-sponsored hackathon on Saturday in which several dozen student programmers coded for 24 hours to determine whose app would reign supreme. In the end, Bay Gross ’13 took home the first-place prize of $500 and a Kindle for an app that provides a contact management system for Yale student groups.

Just a paper chair. On Sunday, the Hartford Courant profiled Zach Rotholz ’11, the founder of York Street’s Chairigami. The profile examined Rotholz’s innovative use of cardboard in home furnishings and noted that since the store opened, he has sold between $6,000 and $7,000 worth of his furniture.

Head MUNTY in charge. Yale’s Model United Nations team won “Best Large Delegation” at this weekend’s Harvard National Model United Nations tournament. The win comes after the team’s victories in national and global competitions last fall and spring.

THIS DAY IN YALE HISTORY

1979 In a Calhoun Master’s Tea, author Norman Mailer says journalists get the specifics, but “you can only take facts so far.”