Forget Yale Transit — New Haven officials are looking at getting a street car once again.

Last October, the Board of Alderman struck down a proposal to apply for an $800,000 grant from the federal government to build a streetcar because they would have to pay $200,000 in matching funds if they won it. But in November, Kelly Murphy, the city’s economic development chief, submitted a new request that asks for the $200,000 through state or regional transportation funds.

Now, community leaders are trying to gain approval from the Board of Aldermen to accept federal funding for studying the feasibility of bringing a streetcar system back to New Haven, the New Haven Independent reported Tuesday. The New Haven Urban Design League held a meeting last Thursday at the New Haven Free Public Library that drew 50 people, including Ward 6 Alderwoman Dolores Colon, to discuss the proposed street car.

The proposed street car’s three-mile route would begin at Union Station, continue along Church Street and Whitney Avenue to Grove or Edwards Street, and then turn down Temple Street back towards Union Station. There would be 12 stops along the route, and officials estimate the project will cost between $20 and $30 million.