Destin “Dez” Duron ’14 appeared on the hit NBC talent show “The Voice” Monday night, but his voice wasn’t quite enough to move on.

Duron, a quarterback on the football team originally from Louisiana, covered The Backstreet Boys’ smash hit “I Want It That Way” in his audition. The audience cheered, and judges nearly gave him the thumbs-up, but ultimately none of the show’s judges selected Duron to continue past the show’s blind audition phase. But several judges were upset when Duron’s song was over and they finally saw his face. Judge Christina Aguilera was “so angry.”

“I have to take the cake for feeling the most guilt because, I mean, how adorable are you? but you already know that, I think,” Aguilera said. “Honestly, I heard some of your runs in there, and I got this close to pressing my button at a certain point, and for whatever reason, I just, I don’t know, I think I got nervous.”

As part of the first stage of the NBC series, contestants perform a song before a panel of judges. The panelists — superstars Cee Lo Green, Adam Levine, Blake Shelton and Aguilera — are unable to see the contestants as they perform, and must choose competitors to add to their teams to coach for the remainder of the season based only on the voice. The competitors, divided by coach, ultimately face off for a record deal and money prize, with the public voting on the winner.

There’s always the Whiffenpoofs.

Watch Duron’s audition below:

DANIEL SISGOREO