City | 11:59 am | January 30, 2012 | By James Lu

East Haven Police Chief resigns

In East Haven Chief Leonard Gallo is out — he announced his resignation Monday morning.
In East Haven Chief Leonard Gallo is out — he announced his resignation Monday morning. Photo by James Lu.

East Haven Police Department Chief Leonard Gallo announced his resignation, effective last Friday, at a Monday morning press conference at East Haven Town Hall.

Gallo has come under scrutiny since agents with the Federal Bureau of Investigation arrested four of his officers on Tuesday for systematic mistreatment of Latino residents. The officers were indicted on several counts of excessive force, false arrest and conspiracy against rights — that conspiracy, the indictment said, included a “Co-conspirator 1″ who impeded investigation into the misconduct and helped create a “climate of fear” in the local community. Fred Bow, the chairman of the East Haven Board of Police Commissioners, identified Gallo as “Co-conspirator 1.”

Gallo’s resignation comes even as calls intensify for East Haven Mayor Joseph Maturo Jr. to step down. Three members of the Latino and Puerto Rican Affairs Commission met with Maturo Monday morning and urged him to resign, according to the Hartford Courant.

“The Latino community feels [Maturo and Gallo] are not fit to be our stewards, so to speak,” commission member Isaias Diaz said.

As of Monday morning, over 15,000 people had signed an online petition telling Gallo to resign from his post.

• joey00

Is this admittedly dirty cop collecting a pension from New Haven,probably.Does he now get a pension from East Haven ? It will be interesting to hear just where this derigible lands now