January 22nd, 2012 | Culture

Believe in People hits classroom in LC

Believe in People brought graffiti to an LC classroom this weekend. (Click the photo for the full image.)
Believe in People brought graffiti to an LC classroom this weekend. (Click the photo for the full image.) Photo by Gavan Gideon.

Believe in People has left his mark inside a Yale building.

New Haven’s favorite anonymous graffiti artist went to work this weekend in Room 211 of Linsly-Chittenden Hall. By the morning he had produced an image on the room’s back wall of a young person struggling with his decision to pursue a career in finance. The young man in the image has repeatedly written that he will only work in finance for one year. Seven lines in, the writer changes his tone, and says he will only work finance for two years.

A tipster said a graffiti stencil outline was in place in the room by 3:30 p.m. on Saturday. According to a 3 a.m. tweet from Believe in People himself, several Yale students stumbled across the artist at work this morning — and encouraged him to keep going.

Though Yale administrators have taken a firm stand against BiP’s graffitti in the past, the art had not been removed as of 1:00 p.m. today.

• phantomllama

I hope that that we bill him for the cost of a new coat of paint, and issue a punitive fine too. Those who walked in ought to have contacted Yale Police immediately.

• GoodWill

Yea, sure, let’s call the police to arrest a non-violent guy who’s trying to reach out to students making difficult life choices. We waste our funds on much more frivolous things than a fresh coat of paint, so I have a hard time feeling sorry for our budget on this one. I don’t usually feel the need to comment on stories, but this painting has touched me at a moment I needed my plans questioned.

And okay yea, I wouldn’t want graffiti in every classroom, so that’s a fair point. But I feel that this particular work given the context and skill level is 100% okay, and actually more than okay, it’s beautiful and amazing. If you truly can’t appreciate this work, then you are clearly out of touch with the pressures that the rest of us are facing.

To the students that encouraged BIP to continue:
    Right on. You make me proud of who we are as a student body.

• phantomllama

If he had come in to steal chairs from LC, it’s unlikely that he’d need to be violent whilst doing so. Violence is correlated with criminality, but it’s possible to have one without the other.

If you like him so much, invite him to draw for the YDN. Wouldn’t that be more productive than infringing on Yale’s property rights?