University | 10:51 pm | January 18, 2012 | By Jack Linshi

In crowded cities, tiny dorm rooms

College students in Hong Kong have expressed interest in capsule dorm rooms, like the ones pictured above, because of the city's bloated rent costs. Each of the doors above leads to one room, er, pod, er, capsule.
College students in Hong Kong have expressed interest in capsule dorm rooms, like the ones pictured above, because of the city's bloated rent costs. Each of the doors above leads to one room, er, pod, er, capsule. Photo by Creative Commons.

Feeling claustrophobic in your tiny double? Count your blessings.

A report out from Reuters this week says a company called Galaxy Stars HK will start manufacturing single-sleeper dorm pods designed to maximize the use of space in notoriously high-rent Hong Kong. The dorms are inspired by Japan’s capsule hotels; each has a three foot by four foot opening and is six feet long.

The monthly rent for one of these capsules is HK$3,500 (around $450 USD), and includes air conditioning, power outlets, computer tables and light switches. In a country with the world’s most expensive rent, college students in Hong Kong have already expressed interest in living in these affordable yet tiny quarters.

Singapore, too, is notorious for high-rent housing. But given that Yale-NUS College will include three residential colleges, we are hopeful that our future peers will sleep easy, or at least, not in a pod.

• btcl

hahaha