City | 11:36 pm | December 26, 2011 | By Ben Prawdzik

New Haven adds 36 retail stores in 2011

Developments like 360 State Street boosted New Haven to its strongest retail year "in recent memory," Mayor John DeStefano Jr. said last week.
Developments like 360 State Street boosted New Haven to its strongest retail year "in recent memory," Mayor John DeStefano Jr. said last week. Photo by Becker + Becker.

As the city’s economy continues to recover from the recession, Mayor John DeStefano Jr. said last week that New Haven’s retail market had one of the strongest years “in recent memory.”

Thirty-six new retail businesses opened in New Haven in the last year, DeStefano announced in a Wednesday press release. New additions to the city range from multi-billion-dollar national chains, such as the Apple Store at 65 Broadway and the Verizon Wireless store at 72 Church St., to local startups, including Arpaia Lang Jewelry at 806 Chapel St. and the Cave A’ Vin bar at 975 State St.

Anne Haynes, head of the Economic Development Corporation of New Haven, said that large-scale institutions and developments — 300 George Street, Higher One, Science Park — are acting as “magnets” for the city, spawning tertiary business developments in their wake.

These new businesses did little to help New Haven’s unemployment rate, though, which stayed at 9 percent throughout the year, City Hall spokeswoman Elizabeth Benton ’04 said.

• Mikelawyr2

Stories?

• Sara

Minor correction – The City of New Haven’s official unemployment rate is actually around 13-14%, perhaps declining to 12% in the most recent months as more and more people give up looking for work. The rate for the region as a whole is stable at 8-9%. Of course, the “true” unemployment rates are far higher than the official rate.