December 21st, 2011 | University

Yale to reimburse gay employees’ insurance taxes

flickr-2630539049-hd
Photo by Creative Commons.

Beginning in 2012, Yale will help offset the federal taxes gay and lesbian employees pay on health coverage received by their partners.

Compensation and Benefits Director Hugh Penney said in a Thursday email that Yale will pay employees with same-sex spouses and in civil unions $1,500 a year to help cover the cost of a federal tax on employer-provided health coverage for domestic partners. Though same-sex marriage is legal in Connecticut, it is not recognized under federal law and domestic partner health benefits are considered to be taxable income.

“Because of the increasing discrepancies between the state and federal tax treatment of the health care benefits provided to same-sex marital partners, a number of employers have begun to partially or fully offset the federal tax,” Penney said. “Yale has long been progressive in providing equality of benefits for same-sex couples.”

Due to an accounting error, Yale failed to withhold income that covered the federal tax on domestic partner health benefits in 2010. To make up for its failure, the University decided to deduct the funds from the 2011 salaries of roughly 60 affected employees.

The action prompted the Human Rights Campaign, the nation’s largest organization in support of lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender civil rights, to ask that the University pay for the 2010 mistake and offset the federal tax in the future.

Penney said this year’s decision, approved by the Officers of the University, was not in response to the 2010 payroll problem but instead stemmed from discussions with LGBTQ employees that illustrated the “symbolic and financial importance” of the change.

The average minimum withholding was approximately $1,500 and the maximum about $3,000 in 2010, Vice President for Human Resources and Administration Michael Peel said in an email in January 2011.

Reimbursements that begin on Jan. 1 will amount to $125 per month for eligible faculty and managerial and professional staff — an approximate average of the tax incurred across employees, according to a Tuesday article in the New York Times’ Bucks section. Under the new policy, only employees whose partners are not allowed health insurance from a different source will be reimbursed.

Columbia University will also begin reimbursing eligible employees next year, and the two Ivy League schools will join Syracuse University and Bowdoin College as the only educational institutions to help offset the federal tax on domestic partner health coverage.

• dalet5771

People, you do1n’t have the right to hijack an adjective that has the historical president of the greatest Generation. Gaiety and laughter the stuff of which made the greatest generation, reminds us that gay is not the exclusive, and divine, providence of recalcitrant homosexuals. Those who refuse to give way to emerging freedoms in their use of the noun would face civil rights viola1tions, In so much as it stipulates a pre condition of any sexual orientation. We can no longer tolerate this type of sanctimonious abuse from the homos1exual community. December 7 1941 was a day that lives in infamy and the “Enola Gay” ended our war with Japan. and paved the way to end world war two . The greatest generation knows that “plane” hope can serve as a benchmark for what, “gaiety” should and will always stand for. Or we could do nothing and watch as society falls hopelessly, into a moral morass! If same sex persons or couples want to better themselves and join the rest of the world, please take under advisement calling yourself same sex persons, and show the greatest generation, that with respect and hope we can all live in peaceful harmony.

• Pingback: Google