December 12th, 2011 | University

Is Yale the 8th most hipster American university?

Artsy Yale.
Artsy Yale. Photo by Creative Commons.

Yale may have an impressive list of presidents, senators and athletes, but an article published last week on CollegeMagazine.com contends that it also produces a lot of hipsters.

“[Yale’s] fine arts program is ranked among the highest in the country, and a boatload of stellar degrees (including a strong liberal arts program) means hipsters at Yale can study whatever their hearts desire,” the article said. “Yale is also extremely vegetarian-friendly and is located in the heart of New Haven, Connecticut – not exactly a “hipster city,” but the quiet, colonial atmosphere may just inspire you to pull out those oversize glasses and grandpa cardigans – if that’s your thing, anyway.”

According to the study, researchers analyzed dozens and dozens of schools based on the following criteria: location, number of awards received by the college radio station, strength of fashion & fine arts & liberal arts programs (indie), availability of sustainable and vegan-friendly dining options and the number of local boutiques and thrift stores.

In the end, Salvo, the School of Art, and probably the Art & Architecture Library earned Yale its 8th place ranking. Maybe a few more English grad students smoking outside LC can bring us up to 5th next year! View the list below:

1) New York University

2) Fashion Institute of Technology

3) Emerson College

4) Rhode Island School of Design

5) Parsons: The New School for Design

6) University of California – Los Angeles

7) University of California – Berkeley

8) Yale University

9) Carnegie Mellon University

10) Georgetown University

Oversized glasses and grandpa cardigans? Try tacky sweaters instead.