Sports | 12:05 am | December 4, 2011 | By Lindsey Uniat

White Out raises $18,000 for Schwartz Foundation

Mandi Schwartz '11 came to national prominence during her lengthy battle with leukemia and search to find a bone marrow donor. She passed away in April.
Mandi Schwartz '11 came to national prominence during her lengthy battle with leukemia and search to find a bone marrow donor. She passed away in April. Photo by Lindsey Uniat.

Even though the women’s hockey team lost to Princeton 5-1 on Friday, the night was not a total loss: the Bulldogs raised at least $18,000 for the Mandi Schwartz Foundation, which aims to support youth hockey players battling cancer.

Hundreds of Yalies, hockey fans and athletes — including the club hockey team and a number of local youth teams — went to Ingalls Rink to cheer on the Bulldogs and donate to the newfoundation, established in honor of former team member Mandi Schwartz ’11, who died this April of leukemia. A special pregame ceremony featured a puck-drop by 10-year-old Giana, a brain tumour survivor who the women’s hockey team adopted last year. Yale forward Patricia McGauley ’14, who hails from Schwartz’s hometown of Wilcox, Saskatchewan, sang the national anthem.

The Bulldogs raised the $18,000 through T-shirt sales and a silent auction of hockey memorabilia. Attendance fees were waived in favor of donations to the foundation, and the Elis lined up donor pledges that were based on the number of fans at the game. The Yale Youth Hockey U-12 girls contributed by selling cupcakes.