November 28th, 2011 | City

Utilities reduce electricity costs

Yale uses approximately half of the electricity it produces at the Yale Central Power Plant.
Yale uses approximately half of the electricity it produces at the Yale Central Power Plant. Photo by Emily Foxhall.

Off-campus students can now sleep a little easier with the knowledge that they will now have a few extra bucks to supplement their usual meals of Kraft macaroni and tortilla chips with hummus. Effective Jan. 1, 2012, Connecticut Light & Power and United Illuminating will operate under reduced generation rates for residential and business customers, the Public Utilities Regulatory Authority announced Monday.

CL&P’s residential generational rate will drop about 1.2 cents per kilowatt-hour, resulting in an impressive $9 of savings a month. Meanwhile, UI customers, many of whom live on Howe Street, Edgewood Avenue and the like, can expect prices to dip about 1.8cents/kWh, saving students and families around the Have $13.50 a month, based on an average usage of 750kWh. Get excited, Howe residents: that’s enough to buy one Tempesto sandwich ($7.95 at Book Trader), two bowls of black bean soup ($5.50 each at Atticus) or even an arepa (around $5.50 at Ay! Arepa, or around $13 at Ay! Salsa).