November 24th, 2011 | Culture

Ten Things To Be Thankful For

"The First Thanksgiving at Plymouth," by Jennie Brownscombe.
"The First Thanksgiving at Plymouth," by Jennie Brownscombe. Photo by Wikimedia Commons.

It’s Thanksgiving, y’all, the one American holiday devoted to celebrating the myriad joys of canned cranberry sauce, colonialism and hand turkeys. Whether you’re back at home enjoying a slice of turkducken or spending your break scrounging for food on campus, there’s a lot to be thankful for. To keep life simpler, we narrowed it down to the top 10 things Yalies should be thankful for this turkey day:

10) The Cheese Truck: back in business and still as good as ever, the beautiful absurdity of a grilled cheese truck is worth the wait.

9) Atticus apple cider: the only thing that would make it more perfect would be a side of James Franco.

8) Dean Mary Miller: Sure, she whips out the same eschatological musings for every freshman assembly. But we love her for it, as well as for her so-campy-it’s-great cameo in the latest Harvard Sucks film.

7) Final exams before winter break: we see you there, Princeton.

6) Toad’s: respect your elders, Box 63. (Also, as a side note, the best way to show your thanks is by holding it.)

5) GHeav egg and cheese sandwiches: you might not remember having consumed it, but trust us: you were pretty thankful for it.

4) Food in Bass: like the iron-wrought inscription on the gates of Hell, so too does the inscription o’er Bass read: “abandon all hope, ye who enter here.” But at least you can bring a water bottle!

3) Bluebooking: nothing says end-of-the-semester-freedom like spending lecture searching for a QR requirement between 2 p.m. and 3:30 on Tuesdays and Thursdays.

2) Wenzels: Enough said.

1) No classes = TV4ever: The National Dog Show on NBC and A Very Gaga Thanksgiving on ABC. A worthy television special in every pot.