University | 9:55 pm | November 22, 2011 | By Andrew Giambrone

Yale application will not include LGBTQ question

Harvard Yard
Harvard Yard Photo by ChenSiYuan/Creative Commons.

A week after Harvard College administrators discussed the addition of an LGBTQ question to the application for admission, Dean of Admissions Jeffrey Brenzel said Yale will be adding no such question to its application in the coming year.

A question asking applicants to label their sexual preference or gender identity may create unfair dilemmas for students afraid of answering honestly, or for those who worry about whether it might affect their admissions chances, Brenzel said in a Monday email to the News.

“Given that we neither preference nor disadvantage LGBTQ students in our admissions process, we think it may be best not to present applicants with a question that might possibly create more concerns or questions than it resolves,” Brenzel said.

The Crimson reported last Wednesday that Harvard College is considering adding a sexual orientation question to its application. At Harvard, identifying as LGBT would not act as an advantage in the application process.

“We want to send a positive signal to students who are grappling with the issue of [sexual orientation] or gender identity,” William R. Fitzsimmons, Harvard’s dean of admissions, said.

• River_Tam

Thank the freaking Lord.

• DCHeretic

Wise decision on Yale’s part. Adding such a question would be viewed as a move towards affirmative action, even if Yale admissions officials denied it. Affirmative action on the basis of sexual orientation would create a fierce backlash that would be a blow to the gay rights movement. Gays and lesbians need to keep up the fight for equal rights, not special rights like affirmative action.

Gay Alum
    Class of 1995

• yalie1420

Yale has no need to add such a question — it’s already viewed as one of the most gay-friendly schools out there. It seems Harvard’s decision was based on a desire to send an accepting message to gay applicants, though I’m not sure the question would have achieved that goal.

• JanaCZ

One other thing about application process that made me praise Yale even more: “Yale College decided not to view your answer to the following question: ‘Religious preference’.”
    Eliminating such questions in the application is the way to go!

• Pingback: Google

• Pingback: credit hypothecaire

• Pingback: come fare soldi facili su metin2

• Pingback: CMC Villa

• Pingback: focos led para casas

• Pingback: casino bonus ohne einzahlung

• Pingback: The Trinity Code bonus

• Pingback: Home Website Builder a scam

• Pingback: gewesen

• Pingback: e-philippines