Frustrated when Halloween falls on a weekday? State Rep. Timothy Larson understands your pain.

Larson, a Democrat, wants to designate the last Saturday in October as the official date of Halloween in Connecticut. Though Halloween is neither a federal nor a state holiday, Larson believes moving the holiday to a Saturday would benefit children and families, who currently have to schedule weekday celebrations around school and work-related obligations.

“Halloween is fun night for the whole family, but not so much when you have to race home from work, get the kids ready for trick or treating, welcome the neighborhood children, and then try to get everyone to bed for an early school and work morning,” Larson said in a statement. Plus, in Larson’s eyes, a Saturday Halloween would ensure that children could Trick-or-Treat in the daylight, thus making the holiday safer for “the youngest goblins.”

Additionally, Larson believes his proposal would benefit local retailers, promoting job creation in Connecticut. “Halloween has also become one of the top holidays for retailers selling candy, decorations, costumes and general party supplies,” Larson said. “Jobs are created by this holiday.”

But not all Connecticut politicians agree with Larson’s suggestion. State Sen. Rob Kane, a Republican, believes Larson’s efforts are especially misguided, according to an article in the Hartford Courant.

“You want to create jobs in Connecticut? Start by getting government out of the private sector’s way. Start by lowering taxes and regulations,” said Kane, who believes suggestions such as Larson’s “will continue to take Connecticut in the wrong direction” economically.

Gov. Dannel Malloy also opposes the proposal, a spokesman told the Courant.

Though Larson acknowledges that his idea is “whimsical,” he maintains that the switch would be “smart from a common-sense perspective,” Larson told the Courant. Larson is enthusiastic that Connecticut’s 2012 General Assembly will address the issue.

Halloween, which is traditionally celebrated on the last day of October, falls on a Monday this year. Celebrations at Yale are already underway. Pierson held its annual Inferno on Oct. 22, and the Yale Symphony Orchestra will play the first notes of its annual Halloween Show at 11:59 p.m. on Oct. 31, among other events.

MARISSA MEDANSKY