Yalies weary of froyo and Claire’s cake now have another dessert oasis near campus.

Katalina’s Bakery, a coffee and pastry shop located on 43 Whitney Avenue, had its grand opening yesterday at noon, said store owner Kathy Riegelmann. Riegelmann, who also runs the Boot Camp Training program at Payne Whitney Gym, said in an interview today that the store will be selling cupcakes, whoopee pies and other gluten free products, Mondays through Fridays from 11 a.m. to 7 p.m., and on Saturdays from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m.

Katalina’s will sponsor a Yale cupcake competition and raffle with the Yale Event Management Association Sunday from 1 p.m. to 3 p.m., in which five recipes created by Yale students will be tested by sweet-toothed customers. The winner and five people chosen by lottery, Riegelmann said, will receive one free cupcake from Katalina’s per week until May 2012.

In addition to the cupcake competition, Riegelmann said Katalina’s will be having a “College Night” every Thursday, where Yale students can buy one beverage and one baked good for $6.

“The concept originated with the whole cupcake craze about five years ago,” Riegelmann said. “Everybody likes cupcakes, so it’s great to be able to put a smile on people’s faces.”

The winning “Yale Cupcake” will earn a spot on Katalina’s menu in perpetuity.